Skip to content ↓

SEND Local Offer

MOD Schools SEND Local Offer 


The Directorate Children and Young People (DCYP) was established in 2010 to provide a single Ministry of Defence (MOD) focus for all issues related to service children and young people. DCYP has a similar role to a local education authority, but does not have the same legislative powers.

MOD Schools and Settings in overseas locations mirror the English education system and adopt the principles of the SEND Code of Practice. This enables SEND pupils to transition from our overseas schools and settings to UK based schools and nurseries with the minimum amount of disruption. 


MOD schools are committed to inclusion. We aim for all our children and young people to thrive and achieve their full potential. Headteachers, setting managers, senior leaders, class teachers and support staff ensure that children:

·       Feel secure and know that their contributions are valued

·       Appreciate and value the differences they see in others

·       Take responsibility for their own actions

·       Are taught in groupings that allow them all to experience success

·       Have a common curriculum experience that allows for a range of different learning styles

·       Have challenging targets that enable them to succeed

·       Are encouraged to participate fully, regardless of disabilities or medical needs


What is the aim of the MOD Schools Local Offer? 

The MOD Schools SEND Local Offer is the first place for service families to access information to support their SEND journey. The Local Offer helps children, young people and their parents to understand what services and support they can expect from MOD Schools. The priority for this information is to empower service families by giving them knowledge about what they should expect, the services and provision available, how to access it, and what to do if they are not satisfied.


What is a Special Educational Need and Disability (SEND)?

The SEND Code of Practice 0-25 years, January 2015 states: 

“A child or young person has SEND if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him/her. A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she: 

a. Has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age, or, 

b. Has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post-16 institutions.”


This means that children with SEND may need extra help or support, or special provision made for them to have the same opportunities of other children of their age. If a child has a SEND, their needs will mainly fall into one or more of the following four areas: Communication and interaction needs, Cognition and learning difficulties, Social, emotional and mental health difficulties, Sensory and/or physical needs.

Link to EPAS parent leaflet

What can I expect from my school or setting?

In every MOD school or setting support should arise from a four-part cycle, known as the graduated approach, where decisions and actions are revisited, and reviewed regularly. This cycle develops understanding about the pupil’s needs and supports them in making good progress. The four stages of the cycle are: Assess, Plan, Do, Review.

MOD schools and settings will:

·       Follow the graduated approach

·       Use their best endeavours to make sure that a child with SEND gets the support they need 

·       Ensure that children and young people with SEND engage in the activities of the school/setting alongside pupils who do not have SEND

·       Designate a teacher to be responsible for coordinating SEND provision (the SEND co-ordinator, or SENDCo)

·       Inform parents when they are making special educational provision for a child

·       Publish a SEND information report and share the arrangements that have been taken to prevent SEND children from being treated less favourably than others


Where a MOD school can support a child’s needs, a graduated approach will be initiated and if appropriate a Service Children’s Assessment of Need (SCAN) may be completed. Whilst the SCAN is analogous to an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP), it is important to understand that it does not guarantee access to the same level of support that may be available in England. Parents of children with SEND should be aware that the Equality Act (2010) is not enforceable in all overseas locations. MOD schools seek to support every child, but in some situations local commands may conclude that they cannot support a child with SEND in an overseas location. Detailed direction is laid out in JSP 770 and JSP 342.

Link to school SEND policy

Link to school SEND information report

Link to school accessibility policy

Link to MASO leaflet


What is the Graduated Response – Assess, Plan, Do, Review (APDR)? 

When it is decided that a child would benefit from specific, targeted support/intervention, your child’s teacher supported by the SENDCo will consider the advice in the SEND Code of Practice using the Graduated Response:


The class teacher, working with the SENDCo and parents, discusses the child's needs and creates a baseline assessment by which progress will be measured. 


A plan of additional support is drawn up for a pupil, a record will be kept and the parents MUST be informed. The school and parents will agree what progress they hope will be made (outcomes), and by what date (deadlines). 


The pupil is given extra support, undertaken under the supervision of the class teacher.   


Termly reviews with parents are held at least three times per year. Parents are fully involved. 


What is meant by Universal, Targeted and Specialist provision? 


   This will be support that is available to all children and young people. 

    It can be accessed without needing any specialist resources or assessment.

   This is for children and young people who may need additional support to

   access education, or may need support that is specifically designed to meet 

   their needs. Some targeted provision can be accessed directly with or without 

   an assessment.

   This is for children and young people with higher level needs who are likely to 

   require even more support than is available either through universal or 

   targeted services. This usually requires outside agency support and specialist 



What should I do if I am concerned about my child’s progress and/or development? 

Every school or early years setting has a designated person who is responsible for coordinating help for children with SEND. This person is known as the Special Educational Needs & Disabilities Coordinator (SENDCo). 

As a parent you may have concerns about your child’s progress/development and think that they require extra support. The first point of contact should be your child’s class teacher, tutor or SENDCo. You will be given the opportunity to share your concerns and plan an appropriate course of action. It may be helpful to make notes before you attend the meeting.

Send coordinators name and school contact details

How do I apply for a place for my child with SEND?

If you are thinking of applying for a place, contact the MOD School local to your posting. If you are applying for a place in an overseas location that does not have a MOD School you will need to contact the Children’s Education Advisory Service (CEAS) for advice. 

Once you contact your local MOD School they will begin the educational clearance process. You will need to complete an admission form and give consent for the MOD School to contact your child’s current school. The MOD School will then contact them by email, asking for information about your child. The school will be asked to complete an Education Overseas Supportability (EOS) Form. 

Once this form has been returned to the MOD School a decision will be made about the supportability of the child. Most children will receive an Education Clearance form straight away. Some forms will have details about how your child will be supported if they have additional support needs. If a child’s needs are thought to be more complex the school will begin the MASO (MOD Assessment of Supportability Overseas) process to ensure that your child can access the support they need to progress. 

If your child is found to be supportable a clearance certificate will be issued outlining the support your child will receive.

Link to school admissions policy

How does the school prepare and support children to transfer to a new school or the next stage of education and life?

In MOD schools and settings, we understand the importance of smooth transitions for all our pupils as they move to a MOD school, move up a key stage, move from class to class, and move on to Post 16 provision. We are sensitive to all their individual needs and the challenges of service children’s frequent transitions.

Support for this transition starts early and we encourage pupils, parents and carers to look at websites, take virtual tours and speak to the school or setting prior to their posting. 

Link to school virtual tour?

Link to transition guidance?


What services are available in MOD Schools?

The available services are dependent on the overseas location, your local MOD school will be able to provide more specific information. General information is available from:

Most locations have access to:

Medical and Health Care services – more details are available from:

Welfare and Social Care Services

A local Hive

Educational Psychology and Advisory Specialists (EPAS)

Speech and language Therapy